AFP. 3 March 2003. Aristophanes takes on Bush and Rumsfeld.

NEW YORK -- Celebraties and activists across the globe united Monday in
a series of public readings of Aristophanes's ancient anti-war comedy
Lysistrata, in a display of opposition to US military action in Iraq.

Organisers said more than 900 readings were to be presented in 56
countries and all 50 US states, with all proceeds going to charities
working for peace and humanitarian aid in the Middle East and elsewhere.

In New York City, where the project originated, readings began with the
morning rush hour and were set to culminate in an all-star reading of
the entire play at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

Among those scheduled to take part were Hollywood stars like
Oscar-winners Mercedes Ruehl and F. Murray Abraham, as well as Kevin
Bacon, Kyra Sedgwick and David Strathairn.

Julie Christie was to take the title role in a separate performance in
Los Angeles.

Events were also organised in countries from Iceland to China.

Lysistrata tells the story of women from opposing states who unite to
end a war by refusing to sleep with their men until they agree to lay
down their swords.

"Our purpose is to make it very clear that President Bush does not speak
for all Americans," said Kathryn Blume who, along with fellow New York
actor Sharron Bower, set up the project.

"Our message is simple: If you oppose this war, then speak up," Blume
said.

The Lysistrata project was conceived just six weeks ago, when the two
actors began e-mailing friends and put up a website to promote the
concept.

"The response was just enormous," said Bower, who insists that she and
Blume are patriotic Americans.

"With the freedom and wealth of our country comes great responsibility
-- and this war is not a responsible act," she said.

ProletarianNews
http://www.utopia2000.org