UPI. 15 March 2003. Lebanese join anti-war protests.

BEIRUT --  Thousands of Lebanese and Palestinians in Beirut Saturday
staged anti-war protests against a possible U.S.-led military attack on
Iraq.

"We don't want the Iraqi people to suffer one more time," said a student
at the American University of Beirut who joined the crowd in front of
the United Nations House in Beirut's city center.

"If they (U.S.) attack Iraq, there will be another Sept. 11."

The young woman was among thousands of anti-war protesters who flocked
to the downtown area where they raised Iraqi, Palestinian and Lebanese
flags as well as pictures of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and
Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.

The protesters included followers of various Muslim, leftist and
nationalist groups as well as Lebanese officials.

"No to the U.S. aggression on Iraq," read one banner. "No to the U.S.
hegemony on Iraq," read another.

"With blood and soul, we redeem you Iraq and Palestine," shouted the
participants.

"We are here to say 'No to War.' The only thing which would prevent the
war is that democratic countries adopt the same position like France and
work for peace," said Naji Khalaf.

Another protester, Walid, sees "no reason to launch a war even if Iraq
has a nuclear bomb."

He argued the United States produces nuclear bombs and has an arsenal of
weapons of mass destruction and said: "Who can protect us against those
arms?"

To Walid, the only way to avoid a war is for U.S. President George W.
Bush and Saddam to "suffer a heart attack."

ProletarianNews
http://www.utopia2000.org
with photos