AP. 15 March 2003. Anti-war demonstrators march toward Jefferson Square
Park.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Under a cloud-spotted sunny sky, thousands of
protestors have  gathered in San Francisco to voice opposition to a new
war on Iraq.

The crowd is marching toward Jefferson Square Park, where speakers
include San Francisco supervisor and mayoral candidate Tom Ammiano,
actors Danny Glover and Martin Sheen, state Assembly majority leader
Wilma  Chan, D-Oakland, and musician Michael Franti of the group
Spearhead.

Among those assembled today is a group calling themselves Veterans for
Peace, which represents former U.S. military members now opposing a war
with Iraq.

Eric Johansson, a former Army paratrooper and infantryman, has voiced
his opposition to the war since the movement began gathering steam early
this fall. He said that attaching a patriotic message and using a
mainstream pro-peace message has helped his group grow in numbers.

Modesto Fernandez, a former army reservist, said, "When we take our
oath, we take an oath to defend our country. There's a reason we have a
Department of Defense and not a war department."

Another former serviceman, the Rev. Fred Merrick, now works as a
chaplain at the Veteran's Administration Medical Center in San
Francisco. He said today that almost 100 percent of the 100 to 200
patients he speaks with weekly are against the war on Iraq.

"The veterans out there, our patients, are almost unanimous about being
against going to war in the Middle East," he said. Merrick said he was
part of the anti-war movement in the 1960's, but joined the Navy to help
pay for his education and served in Vietnam.

"Our experience in Vietnam should never be repeated. What I see today is
George Bush trying to lead us down the same path to disaster," he said.

San Francisco police said that so far there has been no reported
violence associated with today's protest.

ProletarianNews
http://www.utopia2000.org
with photos