http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_19-3-2003_pg4_19

Daily Times (Pakistan)
Reuters
March 19, 2003

Protests in Asia over US push for Iraq war
By William Willitts

[Australia] As Prime Minister John Howard, a staunch
Bush ally, told parliament of his decision to commit
2,000 troops to an Iraq invasion force, a man in the
public gallery shouted him down.
“Murderer! Scumbag,” he screamed as Howard rose to
defend his decision to deploy troops.
[Vietnam] Anti-war sentiment was also easy to find in
Vietnam, where an estimated three million people died
during the Vietnam War.
“I oppose this war of aggression. America will have to
pay for it sooner or later,” said Binh, 53, a Vietnam
War veteran....
[Japan] “I have two children, and resolving things by
talk rather than war or military action is much better
for the future. Children shouldn’t be made to suffer
any more.”
[India] “If America had any faith in democratic
values, they would have tried to get a majority
decision by the UN Security Council.”
[Pakistan] “The war is not about terrorism or weapons
of mass destruction. Bush has a hidden agenda. And
that is to control the oil wealth of Iraq.”
[Indonesia] "I think the US is the one which should be
brought to justice for meddling in other countries’
business.”
[Afghanistan] Qais, a student speaking in front of a
bombed out Kabul building said: "We feel very sad
because we have been through 23 years of war and know
what damage it can cause, and we don’t want to see
that happen to another Islamic country.”

SYDNEY: From Tokyo’s ritzy Ginza shopping district to
Afghanistan, people across Asia voiced anger against
US plans for a thunderous assault on Iraq and fretted
about the future.

Many also thought the United States’ real aim was to
get its hands on Iraqi oil and said a war would fuel
hatred between Muslims and the West.

President George W Bush laid out a 48-hour deadline
for Saddam Hussein to leave Iraq or face a strike by
280,000 troops. The ultimatum comes after Bush said
diplomacy to resolve the crisis had failed.

In Sydney, morning commuters crossing the Harbour
Bridge were greeted with a three-metre (10-foot) high
“No War” slogan painted in blood red by daredevil
activists across the top of one of the white sails of
the Opera House.

Protesters also made their mark in Australia’s
parliament.

As Prime Minister John Howard, a staunch Bush ally,
told parliament of his decision to commit 2,000 troops
to an Iraq invasion force, a man in the public gallery
shouted him down.

“Murderer! Scumbag,” he screamed as Howard rose to
defend his decision to deploy troops. Security guards
dragging the protester from the chamber.

In Pakistan, more than 100 school and college students
wearing school uniforms, white shrouds and bandanas
with the slogan “God is Greatest” marched through the
city of Rawalpindi, near Islamabad, demanding a jihad
holy war against the United States.

Others carried an effigy of Bush in a military uniform
and waved placards and banners reading “No war for
oil”, “Bush is the real sign of terrorism” and “Hate
America, love Islam”.

Anti-war sentiment was also easy to find in Vietnam,
where an estimated three million people died during
the Vietnam War.

“I oppose this war of aggression. America will have to
pay for it sooner or later,” said Binh, 53, a Vietnam
War veteran who fixes bicycles and sells petrol on a
Hanoi footpath.

Quyen, 22, a law student, was resigned to war.

“I don’t support any war but if it is what it takes to
rid the world of terrorism then we have no other
choice,” she said while sipping a drink in a Hanoi
cafe.

US oil grab? Tokyo housewife Chiyo Fukaya worried
about the precedent military action would set.

“I have two children, and resolving things by talk
rather than war or military action is much better for
the future,” she said during a shopping trip in
Tokyo’s Ginza district. “Children shouldn’t be made to
suffer any more.”

Opinion polls show about two-thirds of Australians do
not approve of a war that does not have UN backing.
But some back their prime minister.

“I am in favour of the war because of the outcome
they’ve set for the war, making Iraq a better place to
live for the Iraqi people,” said Stuart Amos, 38, a
telecommunications engineer.

Basudeb Mukherjee, a retired bank officer in Calcutta,
said he thought US pressure on Baghdad stemmed from
commercial interests and was a ploy to grab Iraqi
oilfields.

“If America had any faith in democratic values, they
would have tried to get a majority decision by the UN
Security Council,” he said. “They’re trying to take
the law into their own hands.”

Sabeen Hasan, a student at Karachi University, also
thought oil was the main issue behind the march to
war.

“The war is not about terrorism or weapons of mass
destruction. Bush has a hidden agenda. And that is to
control the oil wealth of Iraq.”

“Arrogant Bush”: “An attack on Iraq will not just
result in protests in Pakistan and the rest of the
Muslim countries. It will double, triple hate toward
America. America is standing on one side on the issue
and the rest of the world on the other,” she said.

In Indonesia, Suwono, a 40-year-old engineer, said
Bush was too arrogant.

“It is really inappropriate for a country to make a
threat to other countries,” he said in the capital
Jakarta.

“I think the US is the one which should be brought to
justice for meddling in other countries’ business”, he
said. It is a view voiced by others in the world’s
most-populous Muslim country of 210 million people.

Wang Fengchu, 23, a supermarket employee in Beijing,
echoed those thoughts.

“America is too much of a bully. It is not interested
in human rights. It is just after oil in Iraq, like it
wanted to control Kuwait,” he said.

In wartorn Afghanistan, policeman Abdul Hadi said
while the United States helped liberate his country
from the Taliban 16 months ago, the idea of war with
Iraq was not popular.

“The US should have got approval through the UN for
the decision of going to war against Iraq,” Hadi said.
“The attack will further feed the seed of hatred
against the US among Islamic countries.”

http://platinum.yahoo.com