http://www.thenews.pl/international/artykul121008_poland-ends-lebanon-mission.html

Polish Radio
December 1, 2009

Poland ends Lebanon mission

After 17 years, Poland is ending its participation in the UN mission in
Lebanon, with the last troops leaving the country in mid-December.

Deputy Defense Stanislaw Komorowski, currently in the Middle East, said the
basis for the decision to terminate their presence was the government's
strategy of granting priority to NATO and the EU missions. The search for cuts
in Defence Ministry expenditure was also a factor.

Poland has also decided to pull out of the UN mission in Chad and in the Golan
Heights.

“UN missions are now in third place in terms of importance,” Minister
Komorowski told reporters in Beirut. “In general, we can afford up to 3,800
troops on foreign missions at one time. Limiting involvement in the Middle East
and Chad will give us the possibility of an eventual increase in our presence
in other places,” he said.

The UNIFIL mission is made up of just over 12,000 soldiers with Poland
contributing 500.

UNIFIL was strengthened following Israel's war against Hezbullah in 2006 under
UN Security Council Resolution 1701.