HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.COM
---------------------------

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/NATO+sees+Iraq+Balkans+Central+America+Afghan+model/2312531/story.html

Reuters
December 7, 2009

NATO sees Iraq, Balkans, Central America as Afghan model
By David Brunnstrom

BRUSSELS: Afghanistan could look like Iraq, the Balkans or Central America if
NATO succeeds in its mission there, the alliance's top commander said on Monday.

"It will be a world in which there is a central government, there are
elections, there is reasonable control in the security sector, there's still
some terrorist incidents . . . it's not perfect, but it's a functioning
democracy," U.S. Admiral James Stavridis said.

"There are tensions, there are problems but it's vastly improved over where it
was five or 10 years ago....It's got elections, but it's not finding 10-20,000
killed a year in civil activity. It's a sense of progress, a sense of movement
. . . corruption is reduced, there is a sense of governance in the majority of
the country."

Stavridis was replying to a questioner at a seminar in Brussels who asked how
he would define success in Afghanistan, where U.S. President Barack Obama is
sending 30,000 more U.S. troops to tackle a widening Taliban insurgency.

"I think that's achievable. I think we can succeed in that regard," he said.

NATO said after a meeting of alliance foreign ministers last Friday that 25
countries had promised to send around 7,000 more troops to back the extra
Americans.

Stavridis called this a major contribution and said he expected a "significant
proportion" of the extra troops to be trainers with which NATO is seeking to
build up Afghan forces so Western troops can eventually withdraw.

"We are really emphasizing training as the success strategy, so we are talking
to each of the allies and asking them what training capabilities they can offer
up. We are getting a very good response on that," he told reporters.
Stavridis declined to comment about the Dutch and Canadian plans, except to
say: "We are encouraging everyone to stay and be part of this and we are
encouraging everyone to be very focused on the training capabilities."

Michele Flournoy, U.S. undersecretary of defense for policy, told a Washington
conference the United States hoped the extra allied troops could be deployed in
the first half of 2010.
or
stopnato-subscr...@yahoogroups.com

Daily digest option available.