HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.COM
---------------------------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/6762077/Russia-on-its-mind-Georgia-makes-hefty-Afghan-contribution.html

The Telegraph
December 8, 2009

Russia on its mind, Georgia makes hefty Afghan contribution
By agreeing to deploy nearly 1,000 troops to Afghanistan, Georgia is making
investments in its own security against its giant neighbour and former ruler,
Russia

By Michael Mainville

Tblisi: Amid continued tensions with Moscow after last year's war with Russia,
the former Soviet republic is keen to strengthen ties with Nato and is making
one of the largest contributions to the US-led surge in the fight against the
Taliban and al-Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Tbilisi is hoping the move will not only boost its links with the Western
military alliance, but also give its troops much-needed combat experience that
could be used in another conflict with Russia or with Georgia's Russian-backed
separatist regions.

President Mikheil Saakashvili said that Georgia's contribution in Afghanistan
is directly linked with the country's security in the face of threats from
Russia.

"While our allies ... are concentrating on other issues, our enemy is becoming
active. The sooner the Afghan situation is resolved and the sooner the war in
Iraq is over, the more Georgia will be protected," he said in a speech on
Friday to soldiers from one of the country's artillery brigades.

Pointing out that unlike some European countries Georgia is not barring its
troops from combat operations in Afghanistan, Saakashvili said that the mission
would also bring valuable experience.

"This is a unique chance for our soldiers to receive a real combat baptism. We
do not need the army only for showing off at military parades," he said.

Georgia is sending two light companies and a heavy battalion, slightly fewer
than 1,000 soldiers, to Afghanistan next spring to serve under US command.

An infantry company of about 170 Georgian troops is already in Afghanistan,
serving under French command after arriving last month.

Georgia was also a key contributor to US-led forces in Iraq, where 2,000 of its
soldiers served in a dangerous zone near the Iranian border until 2008, the
second-largest presence among US allies in Iraq after Britain.

Its troop commitment in Afghanistan, which might qualify as the largest
contribution of any country per capita, has taken place as more than 40 nations
prepare to boost total troop numbers to around 150,000 for a new offensive
against insurgents.

Georgian officials say this is to prove that after five years of actively
seeking membership, Georgia belongs in Nato.

"Georgia is aspiring to become a full-fledged Nato member so we need to
demonstrate that we want not only to consume but also to be a provider of
security," said Giorgi Baramidze, minister for Euro-Atlantic Integration.

Few expect Georgia to join Nato anytime soon.

But Tbilisi is hoping for some benefits even without membership and that its
contributions won't be forgotten if Georgia faces another conflict with Russia,
said Tornike Sharashenidze, an analyst with the Georgian Institute of Public
Affairs.

"Our participation in peacekeeping operations is the kind of contribution that
will be remembered when we want to appeal to our friends for assistance," he
said.

Last year's conflict saw Russian troops pour into Georgia to repel a Georgian
military attempt to retake the rebel region of South Ossetia, which had
received extensive Russian backing for years.

After occupying swathes of territory and bombing targets across Georgia,
Russian forces withdrew into South Ossetia and another rebel region, Abkhazia,
which Moscow recognised as independent states.

Tensions remain high around both rebel regions. Tbilisi has accused Russia of
illegally occupying South Ossetia and Abkhazia, and of boosting its military
presence in both territories. Moscow meanwhile has accused Georgia of
rebuilding its army and preparing to retake the regions by force.

Baramidze said Western backing was crucial for Georgia during the conflict and
could be vital again.

"Russia would have swallowed all of Georgia without the Western support we
had," he said.

"Certainly Georgia is seeking security (by participating in international
missions). If we want to survive as a democratic, free, European nation, we
need security guarantees."
or
stopnato-subscr...@yahoogroups.com

Daily digest option available.