http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=66548

Stars and Stripes
December 9, 2009

McChrystal: ‘I don’t view July 2011 as a deadline’
By Leo Shane III

WASHINGTON: The head of U.S. military forces in Afghanistan downplayed the
president’s July 2011 goal to begin withdrawing troops and said he wouldn’t
rule out delaying that timeline or even adding more troops to the new 100,000
end strength planned for the country.

“I don’t view July 2011 as a deadline,” Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal said in
testimony Tuesday before members of the House Armed Services Committee. “At
that time, we’ll evaluate the time and scope of a possible drawdown,” a
decision he called the “natural evolution” of the military mission.

Both McChrystal, who also leads the NATO mission in Afghanistan, and Karl
Eikenberry, leader of U.S. civilian efforts there, told lawmakers they support
President Barack Obama’s plan to send about 30,000 more troops into the
country....

McChrystal said he did not recommend the July 2011 withdrawal date....

McChrystal said he would not allow political considerations to influence his
evaluation of progress over the next 18 months, and if additional forces are
needed because of an increase in violence “then of course I would request it.”