http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2009/ss_gulf0946_12_08.asp

World Tribune
December 9, 2009

U.S. asks Gulf states for help in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON — The United States has approached the Gulf Arab states for
assistance in the NATO stabilization campaign in Afghanistan.

Officials said the administration of President Barack Obama has turned to
several Gulf Cooperation Council states to consider contributions to the NATO
surge in Afghanistan. They said GCC states could send money and troops for
reconstruction and education projects.

"I think one of the things that we must continue to try to change as much as we
can is to increase the degree of civilian presence," National Security Advisor
James Jones said.