http://en.apa.az/news.php?id=113017

Azeri Press Agency
December 24, 2009

Richard Morningstar: Azerbaijan is still remaining as an important ally in the
U.S energy policy towards region
Isabel Levine

-“We believe that such projects, in particular, Nabucco and Turkey-Greece-Italy
(TGI), are very important in terms of energy diversification so that energy
resources will be supplied not only from Azerbaijan, but also from Turkmenistan
and possibly from Iraq”.

Washington: “Azerbaijan still remains as an important ally in the U.S energy
policy towards the region”, the Special Envoy of the United States Secretary of
State for Eurasian Energy, Richard L. Morningstar told journalists answering
APA’s Washington DC correspondent’s question.

He mentioned that Nabucco is very important in terms of energy diversification
and security in the region: “This project opens up many possibilities. We
continue to support all projects that involve the delivery of oil and gas to
world markets,” the US official stressed.

According to Mr. Morningstar, there are at least six former Soviet States
within that region whose independence will be enhanced tremendously by the
economic development resulting from the resources within that region and we
have to work very hard to see that that occurs. He mentioned that, “Azerbaijan
is at the top list of our priorities”.

“We believe that such projects, in particular, Nabucco and Turkey-Greece-Italy
(TGI), are very important in terms of energy diversification so that energy
resources will be supplied not only from Azerbaijan, but also from Turkmenistan
and possibly from Iraq”.

The US envoy also mentioned that Washington still hopes Azerbaijan and its
neighbors will maximize their production of oil and gas.

“The energy independence point is very significant. The resources from the
region should be able to go to the marketplace unfettered [circumventing
Russia]. The producers, in our view, should not be relying on competitive
countries, such as Iran, to get the resources out. So energy is also a
strategic interest,” he added.

According to Mr. Morningstar, the regional conflict issue is also very
important. By cooperation among the countries in the region, by the economic
development of the region, we think that can have a very positive affect in
ultimately settling some of the conflicts.

“By settling the conflict, I should add, countries around the region will be
able to have, will be able to reap the fruits much more advantageously of the
resources”.