HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.COM
---------------------------

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20091229/157413385.html

Russian Information Agency Novosti
December 29, 2009

Russia to continue offensive arms to balance U.S. shield - Putin

VLADIVOSTOK: Russia will continue developing offensive armaments to counter
U.S. missile defenses, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin told reporters on Tuesday.

"We must continue developing offensive systems," the prime minister said in
Vladivostok, adding that it will help "preserve a strategic balance" with the
United States which, unlike Russia, is sticking to its missile shield program.

"If we want to exchange information, let the U.S. share its information on
missile defense and we will provide information on offensive weapons," he said.

Putin described talks with the U.S. on a new strategic offensive arms reduction
treaty as "positive."

The START 1 treaty expired on December 5. The new treaty is expected to be
signed in early 2010.

Putin said the treaty should contain "certain rules on arms reduction," which
should be "equally understood, easily tested and transparent."

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and his U.S. counterpart Barack Obama
announced at their first meeting in April that the countries would replace the
START I treaty as part of their efforts to "reset" bilateral ties.

The treaty's outline agreed by the presidents included cutting nuclear arsenals
to 1,500-1,675 operational warheads and delivery vehicles to 500-1,000.

http://lists.topica.com/lists/ANTINATO/read