http://top.rbc.ru/english/index.shtml?/news/english/2010/01/20/20162759_bod.shtml

RosBusinessConsulting
January 22, 2010

Kiev not to see Orange Revolution this time around

-“A certain someone really liked it when the president of the country was
elected in courts instead of by the people. But I want to stress one more time,
especially for one known political force which is dreaming of rigging the
election – there will be no Maidan protests.”

There will be no “Orange Revolution” in Ukraine, presidential hopeful and
leader after the first round of elections Viktor Yanukovich stated today, the
Party of Regions’ press office reported.

“A special program aimed at protecting voting results is currently in place in
Kiev. I promised this and it is now happening. We did not allow any political
force to use any ‘Maidan Nezalezhnosti methods,” the presidential candidate
told journalists today. Back in 2004, following the previous presidential
election – in the period which became known as the Orange Revolution - Maidan
Nezalezhnosti was the central place for mass public protests.

“A certain someone really liked it when the president of the country was
elected in courts instead of by the people. But I want to stress one more time,
especially for one known political force which is dreaming of rigging the
election – there will be no Maidan protests,” Yanukovich stated.

After tallying 100 percent of votes cast in the election, Yanukovich is leading
with 35.32 percent of votes, and Yulia Timoshenko is close behind him with
25.05 percent of votes.

Both candidates will now have to contest the 13 percent of votes cast for
Sergei Tigipko in the first round. Meanwhile, Tigipko himself refused to
endorse any of the presidential hopefuls, asserting that he had not heard
either Yanukovich or Timoshenko’s plans on how to effectively change the
country.