http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jiJav28z9iYh4O02eUmLiRiy0tmw

Associated Press
January 25, 2010

Miliband: NATO must stay in Afghanistan despite rising casualties
By Slobodan Lekic

BRUSSELS, Belgium — NATO must persevere in Afghanistan despite the sharp rise
in allied casualties because the next two years will be decisive for the war
effort, British Foreign Secretary David Miliband said Monday.

Briefing officials before an international conference in London on Thursday
aimed at shoring up support for the Afghan government, Miliband said that the
Afghan-Pakistan border is essential....

Miliband said he recognized growing concerns about the numbers of NATO soldiers
killed in the war "but the point is that international terrorism is not going
to go away if we avert our eyes from it."

At least 504 allied soldiers - including 108 British troops - died in
Afghanistan last year, a jump of about two-thirds over the year before. This
trend has continued in January.

Most of the dead have been U.S. service members, with 305 killed in 2009.

Escalating military deaths and the rising costs of the conflict at a time of
economic crisis have drained support for the war in Europe as the fighting
drags into its ninth year.

"Everybody grieves in a very, very serious way at the level of casualties in
Afghanistan," he said. "2009 was a very bloody year for the international
community and in Britain we felt that very strongly."

Associated Press correspondent Robert H. Reid in Kabul contributed to this
report.