http://news.brunei.fm/2010/01/28/nato-looking-for-awacs-base-in-gulf-to-support-isaf

Kuwait News Agency
January 28, 2010

NATO LOOKING FOR AWACS BASE IN GULF TO SUPPORT ISAF

BRUSSELS: The chairman of NATO’s Military Committee, Admiral Giampaolo Di
Paola, has said here that the Alliance is in discussion with a Gulf state to
deploy AWACS planes for reconnaissance mission over Afghanistan in support of
its ISAF mission and also for anti-piracy off Somalia.

“The Alliance is close to closing the basic issue with one of the Gulf
country,” he said in reply to a question during a press conference Wednesday
following a two-day meeting of NATO’S military chiefs. Di Pialo did not mention
the name of the country.

“We are looking forward to be in a position to follow on the temporary
deployment that we have today in Oman with a more permanent long-term
deployment,” he said.