2011/7/5 Tracy Reed <tr...@ultraviolet.org>:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 05:03:40PM +0200, Torbjørn Thorsen spake thusly:
>> I'm setting up a AoE-based SAN, and I'm not quite sure I've reached a
>> good performance level.
>>
>> I can read and write the raw AoE device (/dev/etherd/*) at more or
>> less line-speed
>> on my 1gig Ethernet adapters.
>
>> This means I'm seeing I/O rates of 100 to 120 MB/s when using dd or
>> something similar.
>
> This is in line with what I get also. Sounds like your performance level is as
> expected (very good).
>
>> However, when I put a filesystem on there, I'm seeing rates of 55 to 70 MB/s.
>> I've tested mostly by using rsync, cp or dd, but I tried bonnie and
>> saw much the same results.
>
> Yep. You are most likely running into physical limitations of the disk.

I should have mentioned that the AoE device is backed by a RAID setup that is
able to write well above 120 MB/s.
If I mount the same filesystem locally, on the server, bonnie tells me
it's able to do
sequential writes at ~370 MB/s.

If I write straight to the AoE device, I can get the expected
line-speed of the network, around ~110 MB/s.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/etherd/e1.1 bs=1M

However, when mounting a filesystem, and copying a file onto the AoE
device, I only see about ~70 MB/s.

This leads me to thinking that the performance degradation I'm seeing
is related to
the filesystem or the network.
Of course, I wouldn't expect a filesystem to give the same performance as the
raw device, but I didn't expect to see a ~25% hit in performance, especially
when doing a sequential write.

--
Vennlig hilsen
Torbjørn Thorsen