Were you doing these two downloads at the same time over the same link?
  If so, you're probably just seeing effects of the network, not
anything about the server itself.

If OTOH you're doing each download separately on an otherwise idle
connection and idle server, that would be very strange.  There shouldn't
be anything slowing the download once it has started.

Also, note that the mailing lists have moved to sourceforge; the old
listserv address is liable to stop working at any time.

-J