On the apache vs aolserver topic, I just want to mention that we've been
migrating sites *off* of Apache/PHP/Perl, and onto aolserver, for the past 2
years.

http://moodmixes.com/ was launched last year, http://ilicensemusic.com/ a few
weeks ago, and we're currently rewriting http://magnatune.com/ to be
all-aolserver. http://bookmooch.com/ has been all-aolserver for 7 years, and
while we had to learn a lot to get to scale, once we got there it's been
totally reliable.

The reasons we're moving to aolserver:
1) proper threads, and shared caches make certain features really easy and very
reliable (such as multilanguage support, much faster memcached-like features)
2) the UTF handling in aolserver/tcl is really solid, but frustratingly weird
in apache/PHP
3) very, very reliable
4) very fast
5) massive code reuse in practice, crazy fast productivity
6) scales fantastically on multicore server with lots of memory
7) the C integration is so easy
8) no security / malware problems

The two major problems I've had with aolserver over the past two years are:
1) very occasional crashes
2) memory bloat, probably caused by temporary creation of large tcl data
structures, that doesn't get ever freed

-john