> So, there are build issues to work out (32/64bit, Windows) and some features
> missing.  If we create a list, perhaps we could start with a compatibility
> module with current version, i.e., first goal is folks who are using current
> versions of Aolserver can use current versions of Naviserver with some
> module/config wrapper thingers.  Then, from that baseline, we can move
> forward, leaving AolServer where it is.

A few days ago, Alex made this helpful list of features he found missing in
naviserver:

> Removed $conn was a minor annoyance as we could create wrappers for the
> commands in question
>
> Removed ns_share was a more serious problem and would require essentially
> re-writing in tcl an equivalent facility using variable traces.
>
> Removed ability to create shared/persistent ns_sets was not possible to work
> around and was a deal breaker for us.

And I agree with Maurizio that using the aolserver windows make/project files
on Naviserver is a good course of action.

As to Alex's points above:

1) if conn still available via global variables, and just not passed to procs
registered in ns_register_proc ?  If so, not too hard to code around it.

2) I've been using ns_cache instead of ns_share for a while.
http://panoptic.com/wiki/aolserver/Ns_cache -- or as suggested on the wiki,
http://panoptic.com/wiki/aolserver/Thread-shared_Variables -- I don't have any
code that uses ns_share, but maybe there's a lot of historic code that does?

3) persistent ns_set -- does nsv_set not do this?
http://panoptic.com/wiki/aolserver/Nsv_set

Personally, a wiki page entitled "moving from aolserver to naviserver" with
things that we all find as we give it a try, would most helpful.

In a few weeks, I'm starting a complete rewrite of Magnatune.com and will try
to get started with it on Naviserver.

-john