Do you happen to have a custom error page for 503 errors (service
unavailable)?  I'm looking over the code for places where a connection
might be dropped without sending anything, and although this path
doesn't seem to do that it does look possible for it to do other bad
things (i.e., crash).   It could correlate with a quick burst of
requests from a single user (loading all the images for a page, for
example).

I'd expect an outright crash if this was the case, which would probably
be more noticeable.  However, crashes can be funny things and there's a
chance that it could do something entirely unexpected.

-J