Support Requests item #428099, was updated on 2001-05-28 16:35
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=203152&aid=428099&group_id=3152

Category: First-Time Startup
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I'm setting up aolserver on Red Hat Linux 7.1.  I have
installed it compiled it but I cannot get nsd to run.
It says  bash:nsd: command not found... any help would
be appreciated.  Please e-mail me if you can at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Comment By: Henry Devito (daddyd234)
Date: 2001-05-28 19:12

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=230836

I tried what you described but I get several error messages
the first failed to open pid file... 'permission denied'

Comment By: Dossy (dossy)
Date: 2001-05-28 17:21

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=21885

This doesn't sound like an AOLserver problem, but rather
a "learn how to execute things outside of your PATH
variable" problem.

Presuming you did a "make install", the default install
path is /usr/local/aolserver.  So, from a root prompt:

# cd /usr/local/aolserver

# bin/nsd8x -u nobody -g nogroup -ft sample-config.tcl

Then, fire up http://hostname:8000/ in a browser
(replace "hostname" with either the name, or IP address, of
the server running AOLserver).

This will hopefully get you started.  Change "nobody" to
the username you want the webserver to run as,
and "nogroup" to the group you want the webserver to run
as.  I recommend creating a user "www" and group "www" and
then making the webserver run as that user/group.

When you get your config the way you want, take the "-f"
out of the "-ft" and the nsd process will put itself into
the background at start-up.  Kill the process this way:

# bin/nsd8x -u nobody -g nogroup -ft sample-config.tcl -K

(Basically, run the same command you would to start the
server except add the "-K" option at the end -- which seems
to have become an "undocumented feature" to some degree, as
it doesn't show up in the usage text when running nsd with
no args.)

I'm going to close this support ticket -- if this simple
walk-through doesn't solve your problem, re-open the ticket
and add more details about your problem.

- Dossy