> I would like to hop on, but I don't have anything
> specific to say. I have never used AIM...do you have
> to be a AOL member to use it?

You don't have to be an AOL subscriber.  You can sign up for an AIM
screen name without being one:

http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promo=106712&pageset=Aim&client=no

> Is there a linux client?

There are several.  I use tik; it's a Tcl/Tk client.

    http://tik.sourceforge.net/

In tik, to access the AOLserver chat room, you must first define the
chat room by choosing Packages/Quick Chat/New Quick Chat.  For the Menu
Label, use "AOLserver".  For the Chat Room, use "AOLserver".  For the
Exchange, use "4".  Then, to enter the chat room, choose Packages/Quick
Chat/AOLserver.

See also MiniTik, a stripped-down tik from our very own Kriston Rehberg:

    http://kriston.net/software/minitik/

GAIM is a popular GNOME-based Linux client written in C:

    http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Good luck.