>This shows (I think) that if you currently have N threads active, no
>threads will timeout if there are N hits in threadtimeout seconds, at
>least on a Linux box, because the thread scheduling is FIFO instead of
>LIFO.  On one of our production server, we are up to around 26 active
>threads.  I don't think there is any value for threadtimeout that would
>make threads actually time-out.

That could be, I don't know how Linux wakes things up, BUT,

>I dunno if there is a way to make Linux/pthreads/AS/... wakeup threads
>in LIFO order instead of FIFO.  Anyone else know?

 From what I recall of how threads are started and killed, well, if this is
a concern of yours, then another way to skin that cat might to alter the
logic in nsthread and conn.c maintaining a ratio of active threads to total
threads, and to start killing threads off when the ratio becomes too low.

Jerry
Jerry Asher                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1678 Shattuck Avenue Suite 161   Tel: (510) 549-2980
Berkeley, CA 94709               Fax: (877) 311-8688