Cygwin has limited support for Posix threads.  You can check the
Cygwin FAQ at http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html to see which functions
are missing.  Several of the functions that AOLserver 4.x uses aren't
in the DLL yet, making any port at this time difficult.
production servers under Cygwin.  My guess is that most Windows
AOLserver users are trying to duplicate a part of their site on their
laptop, or they want to experiment with OpenACS without installing
Linux, etc.  For that sort of non-production application, the overhead
introduced by Cygwin isn't a concern.
   I believe the Visual Studio project files for AOLserver 3.4 have some
problems.  (Incorrect paths to files, bad settings for debugging, etc.)
That may be why some people are reluctant to build the core from source
even if they have all of the tools and want to build modules.  You could
perhaps zip up the lib files in a separate download for those people?  Of
course, I ended up having to build from source anyway to incorporate
some of the ADP patches that are on SourceForge.
   I've been using a patched version of 4b1 on Windows 2000, and the
nscgi module is working for me.  I checked it out of the AOLserver
repository with -D 2001-11-04.  My personal experience has been
that 4b1 is as stable on Win2k as 3.4 is.  Building the source is a pain,
but I have notes that I will share if you are willing to attempt it.  My work
was related to an OpenACS 4 installation, so some of the patches aren't
strictly necessary just to get AOLserver running.  I think the nscgi in
http://acs-misc.sourceforge.net/ns_rel_beta2.html works as well, if you
can't / don't want to build from source.

Jamie