Interesting...

I'm compiling AOLserver 4.x from the latest CVS on Linux and it's failing
because -rpath isn't a recognized option for gcc.

RFLAG           = -rpath
RPATH           = -Wl,$(RFLAG),$(AOLSERVER)/lib

gcc -shared -nostartfiles -o libnspd.so listen.o log.o
main.o ../nsext/nsextmsg.o -L../tcl8.3.4/unix  -ltcl8.3g -lm -ldl -
lpthread  -rpath ../../install/aolserver/lib
gcc: ../../install/aolserver/lib: No such file or directory
gcc: unrecognized option `-rpath'
make[1]: *** [libnspd.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/goodwins/platforms/aolserver/compile/aolserver/nspd'
make: *** [all] Error 1

rpath is a flag for ld:

      -rpath directory
              Add a directory to the runtime library search path.
              This is used when linking an  ELF  executable  with
              shared  objects.  All -rpath arguments are concate­
              nated and passed to the runtime linker, which  uses
              them  to  locate  shared  objects  at runtime.  The
              -rpath option is also used when locating shared ob­
              jects which are needed by shared objects explicitly
              included in the link; see the  description  of  the
              -rpath-link  option.   If  -rpath  is not used when
              linking an ELF executable, the contents of the  en­
              vironment  variable  LD_RUN_PATH will be used if it
              is defined.

Problem is when I set AOLSERVER=somepath that doesn't exist, it says it
can't find it; when I set it to a dir that does exist, it finds it but
complains that the file is a directory, which is sort of what I thought it
expected from reading the above.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks,

/s.