Well stated. If the module loads at start time, it should NOT fatal out
later because a DB goes down, or some other resource is temporarily
unavailable. If the resource is unavailable at start time, having
daemontools in inittab restart the server until the resource *is*
available makes sense to me. There is no right or wrong answer here,
just a decision as to whether handling this in an admin-changeable
fashion will add more complexity to the code than benefits obtained.

/s.