Eric,

We have created a patch for 3.4.2 with the encoding changes from AD+13:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=570072&group_id=315
2&atid=303152

We use AOLserver 3.4.2 with this patch in production in a Linux environment,
but we do not exercise the full range of encoding functions - we only serve
and receive UTF-8 encoded content.  We have not looked at porting this patch
to 3.5 yet, and probably won't for at least a few months.

On the general topic, we are certainly in agreement that the handling of
character encoding in "stock" AOLserver is woefully inadequate for
internationally oriented applications, and the release notes for v3.5 do not
suggest that this has been corrected.  We are fervently hoping that
international character encodings (particularly UTF-8 encoding) will be
better supported in v4.0 , but I can't recall any specific comments from the
AOLserver development team on the topic of encoding in spite of multiple
postings by a variety of users...which makes me very afraid that this is not
on the v4.0 feature list.  I would, of course, be happy to receive
clarification to the contrary.  :-)

Eric
Eric Larkin
Chief Technology Officer