If it is decided that the group command line switch should work, it look like we need a way of checking if a user is in a group before setting the group.
I started playing around with this. It doesn't look like the AOLserver C API has the right group functions. It looks like the grp.h file would need to be included. Here is an example of a procedure to access the members of a group, if the group isn't their main group, the main group can be checked with the passwd functions:

If we decide to do this, I can attempt to create the C API function and clean up the nsmain.c file.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <grp.h>

main (int argc, char **argv)

{

 char *grp;
 struct group *webgroup;
 char **members;
 char *member;
 int i = 0;

 if ( (grp = argv[1]) != NULL ) {

   webgroup = getgrnam(grp);
   members = webgroup->gr_mem;

   while( members[i] ) {
     printf ("member %i: %s\n", i, members[i]);
     i++;
   }
 } else {
   printf("usage: %s groupname\n", argv[0]);
 }

}

( Merry Christmas! )

--Tom Jackson