Elizabeth Thomas wrote:

In our runtime directories we usually have softlink to the install bin
directory.

e.g., <directory_we_run_from>/bin -> <install_dir>/bin

Does this adequately address your concern?
It's rather baroque, and the short README.txt document that covers
installation has no information in it that would indicate that it's
necessary.

The need to keep one special file that's part of the installed software
local to my home/bin directory (or linked to it) is not what your
typical Unix hacker's going to expect.

I see that AOLserver 3 does the same thing. I'd never noticed because
I'd never cleaned up that distribution and everything's still laying
around.  As it happens the bin directory is directly underneath the
directory where I keep my various config .tcl scripts and run AOLserver
from.

My laptop's running short of space, however, so I distclean'd after
installing 4.0.

--
Don Baccus
Portland, OR

I. To remove yourself from this list:

Send a message to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"  with the following text in
the BODY of your message:

signoff aolserver

II. For a complete list of listserv options please visit:

http://listserv.aol.com/

III. For more AOLserver information please visit:

http://www.aolserver.com/