I have a situation in which I have to connect to two different Oracle
databases from AOLServer. One is an Oracle 9i database which uses the
UTF-8 character set and the other is an Oracle 7 database which uses
ASCII.

The current oracle driver works with Oracle 9i if I change all the ora8
references to ora8 and link it against the Oracle 9i libraries. It also
works with Oracle 7 if I do the same thing (I mean, link it against the
Oracle 9i libraries and change all ora8 to ora9).

However, I can't use the driver for what I want due to the environment
variables. If I set the NLS_LANG environment variable to "UTF-8" the
Oracle 7 database returns a weird error (something about fetch out of
sequence). If I don't use the NLS_LANG environment variable the Oracle
7 database works, but the Oracle 9i database doesn't work with Unicode.

I was thinking about implementing some configuration parameters for the
oracle driver. What I have in mind is being able to tell the oracle
driver
from the nsd.tcl config file how it should set the environment
variables,
something like:

ns_param setenv "NLS_LANG" "UTF-8"

I'm not really sure how to do this, but I've written AOLServer modules
before so I'm confident I can do it.

Is this worth the effort or am I just overcomplicating something that
could
have a much simpler solution?

Would this be useful to anyone else? alas, should I post this somewhere
if I
do it?

Thanks,

-Oscar

--
pgp fingerprint: BC64 2E7A CAEF 39E1 9544  80CA F7D5 784D FB46 16C1