On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 07:59 PM, paul cannon wrote:

It seems that when a database handle is allocated in an ADP page and not
explicitly released, AOLserver no longer releases it automatically.

Is this true? If so, I can't find any documentation anywhere that would
suggest this is the case.

Way back in the 2.x days, I moved an app from Illlustra to Sybase, only to discover that the automatic handle cleanup that happened in Illustra wasn' t happening in Sybase. MarkD helped get that working for Sybase, and I learned that automatic handle cleanup was, in the 2.x days, database-driver-dependent.

I think the bottom line is that there is not documentation that says
AOLserver will clean up database handles that aren't explicitly released,
so you should not depend on the feature.

"catch" is your friend.  Also, this is one of the things about the current
adp processing model that's nice, because you can have a script chunk at
the end of the page that says if the variable that holds the handle is
non-empty, release it, and it will be executed, even if script chunks
earlier in the page up-and-die.

Pete.