On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Ayan George wrote:

> Why can't we just use POSIX regular expressions for all of
> the ns_register* procedures?

Urlpattern string or regexp match is ok to execute filters. You execute
all filters that match.

For URL handlers, ex. register procs or ADPs you can have only one
matching handler. So how do you propose to handle situation when you
register handlers for two overlapping regexp?

Current approach solves this problem pretty well and is described in
ns_register_proc docs. Special struct ulrtie defined in urlspace.c and
described in http://www.aolserver.com/docs/devel/tech/urlspace.html allows
you to get handler for longest matching urlpattern (it implements some
kind of url prefix inheritance). Please notice that mechanism for
registering url handlers is not only simple string matching.

I belive that this issue is well solved in Apache by Location, File and
Directory directives. Maybe we should take a look how it is solved. I
never analyzed this but it looks to me very similar to currently existing
implementation in AOLserver.

--tkosiak

To Remove yourself from this list: http://www.aolserver.com/listserv.html