On Saturday 31 May 2003 18:31, you wrote:

> Why not just use daemontools? You avoid the race conditions of pidfiles
> and get several other useful features.

Because of the added complexity of maintaining and setting up
different piece of software. We use just one nsd instance in our
solution and we need to be sure that it is running all the time.
We'd have to do much more work, distribute more software, write
more complex installation scripts, train people how to use them, etc.
It is just not worth it.

> Daemontools is a well-tested, working solution, maintained by someone
> known to write bulletproof code.

I don't say daemontools is bad. It is just getting more complex when
you add more pieces.

> > Now, what I did not say (nor done yet, but I'm planning to) is: win32.
> > You have no shell there. By having all built-in, you have no worry.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to run nsd as an NT service?

Of course. But it needs to be set-up so that it restarts the program
in case of failure only. If the server exits deliberately it should not
kick it again.  I haven't investigate this yet, as said above.

Zoran

To Remove yourself from this list: http://www.aolserver.com/listserv.html