On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Elizabeth Thomas wrote:

> We are currently pursuing a very encouraging approach of adding an
> optional 'lazy proc definition' capability, capitalizing on the
> 'unknown' processing of tcl. (Thanks to Jeff Hobbes for putting us on
> this path). Since most of our threads use a relatively small subset of
> all available procs, we hope to achieve significant performance and
> memory consumption wins by only loading procs in the interpeter that are
> actually needed.

An approach like this was discussed on this list a couple of years ago,
and Rob Mayoff had particular suggestions for handling namespaces.  At the
time, if I recall, some AOLserver mods were necessary to support proper
handlikng of namespaces, but those are probably obsolete now.  Also, at
the time, Jim felt the approach was not necessary for AOL, so it didn't
make it into the default thread initialization.

The old notes are probably in the list archives.

Pete.