I looked and didn't see any example code laying around. For sure, I did it
under 3.x (maybe 3.2?) by copying the ftp.tcl into my library directory
(have done similarly for http and pop). At that point I think you don't
need a package require - just say ftp::WhateverCommand and you're set ..

Sorry I can't give a specific example, but I know it works in the 3.x
family with no big deal.

Another option you might want to look into is the TCL port of libcurl -
http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/tcl/

I know on the developer's page he claims to have made it thread safe - I
haven't used the TCL port, but Curl is very well done/maintained and works
in a lot of environments - e.g. PHP includes a curl interface.

I remember seeing somewhere that someone had played with libcurl on 4.x -
if you google it you might get some hits.

Alfred Werner
Schemathings, LLC