So, I was a little unclear on the problem my coworker was facing- apologies
for sort of repeating myself.

We've built a CMS allowing editors to paste in stories, and we're having
problems with them pasting in smart quotes- primarily, that apparently smart
quotes aren't within the unicode set and are proprietary to Msoft.

We're looking for an efficient way to substitute smart quotes for regular
quotes.  Has anyone dealt with this (pesky/annoying) problem before?

Thanks a ton,
Scott

P.S. If you're unclear what a smart quote is, open up Msoft Word and type
{blah "blah"} and note that one is a "left quote" and the other is a "right
quote"...