We have a client who wants to have files written by AOLserver to have
perms 664 instead of 644.  We've tried various permutations of setting
umasks, but nothing seems to help.  We're using nsd 3.3 (the Arsdigita
version).

Files are written to by the application in three different ways:

# create a blank file (file-manager)
close [open $path w]

# get an uploaded file  (bboard)
 set tmp_filename [ns_queryget upload_file.tmpfile]
 set n_bytes [file size $tmp_filename]
 if { $n_bytes > 0 } {
     ns_cp $tmp_filename $new_full_local_path
 }

# exec a shell command (imagedb)
 if {[catch [exec convert $orig_path -geometry 500 $new_md_path]
errmsg]} {

I would expect the exec to work correctly, since it's shelling out and
should obey the user's umask setting, but have not actually tried it
(sometimes being the middleman in these situations makes it more
difficult to debug;  it's not my code so I'm relying on someone else to
tell me what's happening).

Is there anything we can do, short of hacking nsd, to affect the
permissions used when files are written to?

thanks,

janine

-- AOLserver - http://www.aolserver.com/