I contend that this is because 90% of the Java programmers come fresh
out of college, with 2 CS classes under their belts (taught in Java) and
go "Rawr! I r programmer!!"... Whereas most of the Tcl programmers have
a background of being good programmers that needed to find a good
language for something particular, saw Tcl, and went "Wow, this is great" :)

Rob Seeger