On 2004.06.15, Nathaniel H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> AOLserver 4.0.5 gives me the same problem.  I could try with 4.0.3, yet
> somehow I don't believe that will help.
>
> > I didn't mention that I am running redhat 7.3 with java version 1.4.2_03.

As I said earlier, I suspect this is a "something is installing a
SIGCHLD handler that's interfering with Tcl's SIGCHLD handler" -- Google
saves the day, yet again:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=d92771131f2fc6a5&seekm=7edf7c7c.0311061218.43987929%40posting.google.com&frame=off

Similar problem but instead of AOLserver, the OP is talking about using
plain Tcl with tclblend (Java bridge for Tcl) and is seeing the same
symptom.  Dan Johnson's reply to the OP says:

    | See this Java bug report:
    | http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4945203.html
    |
    | It talks about the handling of SIGCHLD on Linux.
    |
    | "To get around the problem, you could install an empty SIGCHLD
    | handler to override the default JDK/JVM handler."

According to Sun, this bug should be fixed in JVM 1.5, and it there's
hints that they may backport the fix to 1.4.x.  The following bugs are
related and interesting:

The second one mentions that J2SE 1.4.2_04 still exhibits this bug even
though Sun claims that this bug has been fixed (in multiple bug
reports).

Clearly, it's an open issue with Sun's JVM on Linux.  On Solaris,
apparently this is not an issue: I believe it has to do with the
difference with Linux threads and other stuff.

Sun's site indicates that 1.4.2_04 is available for download: maybe they
fixed the bug there.  Perhaps try upgrading to that and see if you can
still reproduce the problem.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara                       mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]