Your numbers are very interesting. I've been telling people Sun
hardware is just as fast but cheaper and they look at me like I've got
3 eyes or something.

v240  2 processor 2 gig ram 2 x 73 gig drives Solaris 9 $6895 1747 c/s
Compaq DL 360 2 processor 2 gig ram 2 x 73 gig drives Redhat AS 2.1
$7405 1835 c/s

On the low end I run Sun X1's off ebay for $400 or the V100 for $995.
Even if they only manage 1% of the v240 numbers that's 17 c/s. More
than enough for development and most sites.

The Sun is a 64 bit machine and has LOM so you can manage it completely
from the serial port. I've never used Compaq. Can you power it up and
install it without being there?

Not that is matters but did you test the 1 gig or 1.28 gig Sun box. the
1.28 just came out. Also in that config the v210 would be $4945 with
the 1 gig processors. Basically $2500 cheaper than the Compaq and
within 10% of the performance.

Given the variability  of benchmarks I'd call it a dead heat in
performance and  price/performance. It's really more which you'd rather
use. I personally think you need a 64bit box to run a database and I'd
rather have all Sun than mix Solaris and Linux.

I would like to see Xserve numbers. I have run the Xraid and it's very
impressive

Barry