I have not had much time, or need, to work on the driver lately.  I did
manage to merge in all our changes that provide the PL/SQL layer
though, so really it should just be in bug fix mode right now.  We've
been using a near CVS version of this driver in development and
production for some time now.  Thats not to say its entirely stable
though.  We pretty much only use named bind variables (:mycol) that are
automagically bound from the environment which means options like -bind
haven't gotten a workout.

If anybody has time to test out the driver and report back any issues
I'd probably find the time to fix them.  I know a few people have
reported issues to me and I've tried to get those resolved.  As a
matter of fact just this past weekend I spent time trying to debug an
issue with lobs that turns out might have been an issue with Oracle
10g.

As for backward compatibility the current CVS code should be 100%
backward compatible AFAIK.  If its not please let me know and I'll fix
it.  I did have some ideas for 3.x that might break backwards compat.
but I haven't done anything yet.

I guess the bottom line is that for most people the 2.7 version of the
driver is enough so I'm not really feeling the pressure to make a
release.

Hope this helps clarify the status of the Oracle driver.

- Jeremy