Has the file size upload limit handling changed in 4.5?

Here is what I experienced:

nsconfig.tcl
[ns/parameters]
maxinput = 500*1024*1024 (500MB)

AolServer 4.0.10: 100MB File is uploaded
AOLserver 4.5: 100MB is disregarded by the browsers right away (not even
trying to upload, at least so it seems).
AOLserver 4.5: 25MB works as advertised.

I tried to find out if the parameter name has changed, but could not find
anything, not even after looking at the sourcecode, which, I have to admit,
I might not understand at all :).

Additionally I tried to change the "ns_limit set default -maxupload
500000000" but this had no change in behaviour. Furthermore, I would like to
set this in the nsconfig.tcl and not during server startup in any other
file.

Any hints, or might one of the additional tools be the culprit:

Libthread
Xotcl
Tcllib
Nspostgres