On 27 Jun 2007, at 11:54, Jim Lynch wrote:
I don't believe it would be useful to require aolserver to have to watch for dropped connections to aolserver; that takes an extra process or thread and
CPU time that should be used for what aolserver's job is.
The postgres driver could easily do a quick check before every query using PQstatus(), followed by a PQreset() if the result was CONNECTION_BAD.

Or only do it when the connection is gotten from the pool.

Though I do not know 1) how reliable PQstatus is and 2) how efficient it is. I agree efficiency is the number one priority. I find AOLserver (non-ACS anyway) tends to recover very well from a Postgres restart. Maybe one error page per connection it had open, but that connection seems to then be discarded and a new one created on the next request.

In any case, I think it would be best if this were implemented per- driver rather than an AOLserver wide implementation as then it can be done in the most efficient way for the database in question.

Having said all this, would it be possible to add a feature to aolserver where an admin sends a signal to aolserver which responds by trying to open
database connections?
Or just close all existing ones, so new ones are re-opened when required.

Cheers,
Bas.