The main difference to me is that the thread model is not the same. Thread
communication in Tcl Threads is done by inserting events into a thread's
event queue (or removing events). Similar communication in AOLserver uses a
simple queue. Also, all I/O must be non-blocking. I haven't seen an example
of how you can do both client/server http requests and database access in the
same thread.

So this difference impacts the mapping of AOLserver internals to what is
currently available in Tcl.

What I have been thinking, which isn't backed up with any real knowledge, is
that the nsd binary (stuff that comes from the nsd/ directory) should be
modified so that we have something like core modules (like mini-modules) and
non-core modules, I'm not sure exactly what the distinction would be, but the
point is to create something like a micro-kernel. But what should be in or
out, or how this would work, I have no idea.

nstclsh is very cool and gives you scheduled procs, logging, and a lot of
threading code. I've copied the concept to create an nswish binary, but I
don't write Tk code. But it seems that simple servers can be constructed with
just nstclsh. If nstclsh could load modules, that would be a huge step
forward. Just being able to use the ns_db API within a Tcl app would be cool,
then at least my ported web services module would run under nstclsh and have
database connectivity. This would allow also nswish Tk applications. Maybe
interesting, maybe not.

tom jackson