> More than anything, the new changes lack documentation, and given that, I
> think that the most pressing need for the AOLserver community is to explore
> and document the new changes before any new work is begun.

Yes, lack of docs is fustrating. I understand the situation, because I have
done the same thing when developing software...so I know it is hard to get docs
out...but as the end user, it's fustrating...

> If specific API are going to get an internal adjustment (potentially
> ns_return), we should put some effort in beforehand to document the current
> behavior, and figure out the best way to make the change. This is true with
> compression. I think Brett has a good outline of how things should work, but
> the details will be important.
>
> Btw, I've looked at ns_zlib and there doesn't seem to be an internal hook into
> this.

The key is set the flag, NS_CONN_GZIP, which you can use the internal 'C'
function Ns_ConnSetGzipFlag. From what I have seen so far, this is all that is
needed for ADP and Tcl pages. I'm not totally sure what exactly is needed for
static pages...I'll need to dig deeper down to figure that out.

> Brett, do you have links to how compression is supposed to happen in HTTP,
> and/or any test cases?

You mean how it's suppose to work in general, from a HTTP protocol standpoint?

Here's one link:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/compress/

The keys parts though is that the client sends (in header Accept-Encoding)
either gzip and/or deflate. Note that deflate is rarely used, I guess...it's
really gzip that is key, but most of the headers I have seen include both. If
the content is compressed, the server should repond with "Content-Encoding:
gzip". The "Content-Length" should be the length of the compressed data.

HTH,
    --brett

Be a better friend, newshound, and