I think the ns_odbc driver can survive from one connection to another. When I
use it, I have to put in a trace filter to close/return the handle.

I can't imagine that it is a good idea to just randomly reuse an open handle.
You risk running out of handles for one, but the state of the connection
would be more or less random.

BTW, this is one of the advantages of ns_db: a persistent shared pool of db
connections, but they need to be cleaned up between requests (by ns_db
releasehandle).

tom jackson