On 2008.05.03, William Scott Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yuck.   Okay, so is there any practical work-around for getting X.XX5 to
> consistently round up?  I suppose I could do something like add
> 0.0000001 to any number that I'm rounding, but that seems pretty sloppy.
>  Is there a best practice for dealing with this?

Best practice?  Use integers, format as decimal value as needed.  This
is often why you'll see financial applications store money values in
cents or hundredths of a cent, i.e., a dollar is stored as either "100"
(100 pennies) or "10000" ... if they deal in quantities that include
fractional cents.  Only at the point where the data leaves the system,
either to a UI or to another system, do they format it with the decimal
point in place.

This approach generally eliminates all floating-point precision and
rounding issues and can even result in a performance increase in
compute-heavy applications where the machine's CPU handles integer math
faster than floating-point math.

--
Dossy Shiobara              | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://dossy.org/