After Gustaf updated this for WIN32, I started looking at some old problems
with temp files.

I noticed that Tcl core has some internal API for this (temporary files are
used for buffering pipe I/O), which might be able to be used. The core code
also handles file systems which have wide char (I think for the filenames),
and I think it handles end of line conversions, etc. Not sure how important
this is.

Another issue is that [ns_form] and [ns_conn form] have some security issues
related to temporary files. These can't be fixed without changing the API,
but it might be worth keeping in mind.

Any security fix will probably have to use new api such as:

ns_mkstemp templateVar

Example:

set template /path/to/secure/dir/myfileXXXXXX
set fp [ns_mkstemp template] ;# template var is updated
file delete $template ;#(same as ns_unlink $template)

# Use fp to write/read, fp is opened exclusively.
# When $fp is closed file will go away.
# If nsd crashes, the file also goes away.

The file is actually 'unlinked' prior to use, so there is no way to access it,
or even list it from the filesystem.

tom jackson