Tom Jackson wrote:
Wait, I thought mashups were simply http requests from javascript to update parts of a web page. You return either javascript, html or an xml document, which is probably a worthless option. Maybe I got this wrong, but AOLserver should be able to step into a mashup instantly.

What you describe is ajax ("asynchronous javascript with xml", although it seems no one uses xml anymore) plus dhtml (dynamic html) and yes, aolserver can certainly provide that without too much trouble.

Many (probably most) mashups make use of ajax also, but the mashup part is that they take data from multiple sources - say, from google maps and craigslist - and put it together in some novel new way. A mashup can be done entirely or mostly on the client in javascript but a few things like same-source security, data storage, and having to work entirely in javascript within a browser make it convenient for the server to get involved. Which is why there are the php client libraries I mentioned for flickr, twitter, facebook, etc...

The wikipedia entry on mashups gives a better description (and references!) than my blurb here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashup_%28web_application_hybrid%29

-J