It's not a simple character problem because:
a. other functions in the same file work fine.
b. redefining it later works even though it is cut and pasted.
c. I can even move the definition around in http.tcl (it was at the end to
start with) and it still fails while the other functions work.
d. Just for grins I typed out a redefinition of the function immediately after
the original, and it still failed.  If I comment out the chunk with
ns_sockselect, it doesn't get redefined (as confirmed by [info body
_ns_http_puts]), but it also doesn't work.

So something has to be happening during startup that corrupts it.  I'm guessing
it's getting called before ns_sockselect is really ready to be used, but I
can't find where that might be.  I searched through and could find no calls to
_ns_http_puts, ns_httpopen, ns_httpget, or ns_httppost that precede my
redefinition.  The only other calls to ns_sockselect I could find are in
sendmail.tcl (_ns_smtp_send and _ns_smtp_recv) but those functions seem to be
fine.

Like I said, I have a workaround that seems to be fine, but this behavior is
troubling.  I'll be testing it out on other servers in the next couple of days
so I'll let you know what I see.

Titi Ala'ilima
Lead Architect
MedTouch LLC