This sounds like the problem.  Not a bug with fastpath, but a questionable
decision to take an apparently generic command and apply a situation-specific
optimizer to it that returns bad results when applied outside of its design
parameters.  It seemed like a valid assumption at the time, just as John's code
seemed to be making valid assumptions, but it just seems to have led to asses
being made left and right.

Is there any way to make ns_returnfile's use of fastpath configurable, and turn
_that_ off by default?  Or would that be essentially the same as just turning
fastpath off entirely?  I must confess my ignorance of where fastpath gets used.

Titi Ala'ilima
Lead Architect
MedTouch LLC
1100 Massachusetts Avenue